Sylvia Massy is one of the most creative engineer/producers in the world. Her fun, innovative and experimental approach to recording has led to her working with major artists such as Tool, System Of A Down, Prince, Johnny Cash, and more. She has been awarded over 25 gold and platinum records, including several Grammy nominated albums.
She recently released a new book called “Recording Unhinged” which focuses on her unique, unusual, and sometimes dangerous production techniques. In addition to her personal collection of experimental techniques, the book also contains stories from countless other major producers/engineers documenting their most creative endeavours in the studio. You have to check out this book. It’s amazing!
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- Her hybrid mixing style
- Pre-production – What’s involved, why you need it, and what to be focused on in this stage
- Wet vs. dry vocals – How to get the vocal to sit in front
- Rick Rubin’s “Slippery Fader” technique
- Being creative in the studio
- The benefits of “adventure recording”
- Creating lasting memories for the artists you’re working with
Check out Sylvia’s website: http://www.sylviamassy.com/
To learn more tips on how to improve your mixes, visit http://www.masteryourmix.com/
Download your FREE copy of the Ultimate Mixing Blueprint: www.masteryourmix.com/blueprint
Have your questions answered on the show. Send them to email@example.com
Thanks for listening! Please leave comment or review on iTunes!