John Congleton is an American Grammy Award-winning record producer, engineer, mixer, writer and musician who has worked with artists such as St. Vincent, Wallows, Everything Everything, Bully, Angel Olsen, Future Islands, The Decemberists, Goldfrapp, Sharon Van Etten and many, many more.
In addition to his production work, Congleton has fronted the alternative rock band the Paper Chase, and writes music for a newer project entitled the Nighty Nite. He has also written music for various other projects, including MTV’s Jackass, the Discovery Channel, Friday Night Lights, Evil Lives Here, and several Halloween sound effects/music CDs.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
- Working with Steve Albini
- Making recordings sound exactly how it sounds in the room
- Getting sounds at the source vs. fixing/manipulating them in post
- Using headphone mixes to help guide musicians to get the right performances
- What to do when you can’t get the sound you’re after
- Balancing the needs of a producer vs. the artist
- Recording fat snare sounds
- Reamping drums
- Analog vs digital recording
- Fighting the urge to be a control freak while recording vs keeping things simple
- Getting punchy kick drums without relying on top-end
To learn more about John Congleton, visit: https://www.nextwavemanagement.com/john-congleton/
To learn more tips on how to improve your mixes, visit https://masteryourmix.com/
Download your FREE copy of the Ultimate Mixing Blueprint: https://masteryourmix.com/blueprint/
Get your copy of the #1 Amazon bestselling book, The Mixing Mindset – The Step-By-Step Formula For Creating Professional Rock Mixes From Your Home Studio: https://masteryourmix.com/mixingmindsetbook/
Join the FREE MasterYourMix Facebook community: https://links.masteryourmix.com/community
Have your questions answered on the show. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Please leave a rating and review on iTunes!