Katie Tavini is a Mancunian mastering engineer, now based in Brighton, whose credits include Emeli Sandé, Arlo Parks and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Equally comfortable dealing with an artists’ first ever release as she is with a seasoned pro’s greatest hits – Katie’s ability to bring out the best in a mix comes from her years of experience in studios, combined with her open communication with artists, engineers and labels that trust her to take care of their prized works.
Through her work, Katie has become one of the most in-demand mastering engineers in the UK. Since starting in 2014, the growing range of Katie’s discography is testament to her versatility as an engineer. She is at home with everything from the heaviest metal to the lushest orchestral works and everything in between. A lover of music, Katie enjoys the challenge of taking on new styles and exploring new sonics.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
- Why you shouldn’t wait until you are “prepared” to start your career
- Having fun while you work
- Not getting caught up with “technical” perfection
- Reverse engineering music
- Listening with intent
- Starting a mastering collective
- Collaboration vs. competition
- The benefits of having a mentor
- Do you need expensive monitors to master properly?
- Enhancing the feel of a mix
- Why sweeping with EQ can be dangerous
- EQ vs. compression: which is better for creating feel?
- Katie’s practice techniques to constantly get better at her craft
To learn more tips on how to improve your mixes, visit https://masteryourmix.com/
Download your FREE copy of the Ultimate Mixing Blueprint: https://masteryourmix.com/blueprint/
Get your copy of the #1 Amazon bestselling book, The Mixing Mindset – The Step-By-Step Formula For Creating Professional Rock Mixes From Your Home Studio: https://masteryourmix.com/mixingmindsetbook/
Join the FREE MasterYourMix Facebook community: https://links.masteryourmix.com/community
Have your questions answered on the show. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Please leave a rating and review on iTunes!