An American record producer and Grammy Award winning recording engineer, Doug has worked with some of the best Pop, Indie, and Rock musicians. His roster includes the critically acclaimed Girls, and their offspring-solo artist Christopher Owens, Tokyo Police Club and French Kicks.
Recently, he has been in the studio with Aussie favorites Birds Of Tokyo, Roadkill Ghost Choir, Twin Peaks, Elle King, and LA’s Dear Boy.
Recording and mixing credits include Australia’s The Vines, Paul Dempsey, Powder Finger, as well as American pop phenoms Katie Perry, Fallout Boy and Miley Cyrus. Other credits include Booker T Jones, Guided By Voices, The Whigs, The Pharcyde, Guru, Dr Dog, Company of Thieves, The Honorary Title, Islands, Liz Phair, Starsailor, Ezra Furman and the Harpoons, and the Stone Foxes.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
- Quitting audio college as a fast track to working in the audio industry
- How to rise up the ranks in a studio
- Working for Jack Joseph Puig
- The simple trick for getting things to sound good
- How to analyze reference tracks
- Getting mixes to translate
- Why your monitors aren’t your problem
- NS10s: why they’re the worst
- Preserving the sound of a client’s rough mixes
- Getting bug, wide guitars
- His simple approach to micing guitar amps
- A trick for getting wider drum room sounds
- Working with Tokyo Police Club
- Using Transient Designers on room mics
- Committing to sounds on the way in
- The importance of automation to make mixes sound exciting
Notable gear mentioned in this episode:
Shure SM57: https://sweetwater.sjv.io/vN2JYO
To learn more about Doug Boehm, visit: https://www.dougboehmmusic.com/
For tips on how to improve your mixes, visit https://masteryourmix.com/
Looking for 1-on-1 feedback and training to help you create pro-quality mixes? Check out my new coaching program Amplitude and apply to join: https://masteryourmix.com/amplitude/
Download your FREE copy of the Ultimate Mixing Blueprint: https://masteryourmix.com/blueprint/
Get your copy of the #1 Amazon bestselling book, The Mixing Mindset – The Step-By-Step Formula For Creating Professional Rock Mixes From Your Home Studio: https://masteryourmix.com/mixingmindsetbook/
Join the FREE MasterYourMix Facebook community: https://links.masteryourmix.com/community
Have your questions answered on the show. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Please leave a rating and review on iTunes!